lichess.org
Donate

Chess 960 Opening Principles

One of the major appeals of Chess 960 is that it completely eliminates rote memorization of lengthy book lines of opening analysis. The games starts on move 1. The downside is that many players are left struggling with how to play their opening moves and achieving a playable middle game. I've been playing 960 chess for a number of years and have slowly developing a set of principles on how to play the opening. Some patterns do recur with regular frequency. For example, having a pair of bishops on a1/b1 or g1/h1. Should there be a pawn position one should strive for in this scenario? I believe so.

Just curious if others would find content pertaining to Chess 960 opening principles would be of interest. If so, what topics would be of highest interest? Please share your thoughts.
As for me, I still haven't chosen opening principles of Chess960. Maybe because I'm looking for global principles of the game. Often I have better position, but I can't win :) That is to say, very often even a good opening can't help me to win :D Yes, good opening position is great, but how to play to turn it to a win? This is a super question for me... :)
I use old school time tested theory when I play 960, yet often the analysis says the move is somehow sketchy. I play - open in the center if no tactical or strategic move causing damage
occurs. Knights before Bishops. Push pawns to limit the opponents B. Chain up pawns. Control
the center. Don't move a piece twice until all pieces are developed. Outpost all Knights.
Protect Bishops by anchoring with a pawn or protect with a knight. No loose pieces. If I have a setup whereas a fianchetto can be established
I go for that since KID is one of my primary
openings. So what's an optimum pawn structure
in your favorite piece setup? Hmmm? Oh do tell NM tinyminnow!

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.