lichess.org
Donate

Cheat detection settings 2

To continue the closed topic, I myself just block players I suspect. You might want to keep a list of frequently blocked players as well. It's just too much work too report every account that people make, if the old one gets flagged.
Also this could add more of a statistical human component to the cheat detection, since you'll have much more data than on reports only.
#3 The "human" component in cheat detection is what mods are for, we go through reports daily and perfectly keep up with the reports. There are no leftovers whatsoever.
I doubt anyone under 2100/2200 is going to be bothered by cheaters. Again, I'll be happy to give you a feedback on those people you SUPPOSE are cheating, while I can just check.
Feel free to give me the names by PM if you want, reporting just gets the same attention but enrolls us as a team so we can judge better.
Interesting enough, I receive many reports from 1500/1600 rated players while the reports I receive from higher rated players are a significantly minor part. Maybe in chess thinking that losses come from an opponent's abuse other than an own fault will keep such players away from improving just as a mindset.
Surely not referring to you, I'm just giving the "statistical human component".
It happened once opponent started playing he/she immediately said something like "do not even dare to cheat me bla bla bla". I thought he probably phobia ... I even felt uncomfortable to continue.
Also, "It's just too much work too report every account that people make, if the old one gets flagged."
People who are caught cheating will deserve one more chance - or two - to stop cheating and play fairly. This will not bother players at all, because after the first time these players are actively followed and the mark, if needed, would happen much more rapidly.
When we think they are out of chances, we will block their IP. Surely they can change it and challenge us, but for those who have tried we have been the winning side in 100% of cases so far.
#7 What confuses me is that (I perceive) it's easier to report an account for cheating than it is to create a forum topic (which some people tend to do), and yet sometimes players create forum topics to accuse accounts. Do players just not know how to report accounts or something?
The statistical human element can be a complete anomaly. I'm block by nearly 60 accounts, and I'm a moderator. I think any other moderator can confirm I've not got any suspicious activity on my account at all.

Having just reviewed my own account, I have one false positive, which is this game: http://en.lichess.org/pp7fqeeW because of my movetimes, and low centipawn average.

Despite this being the only game the system has highlighted me as potentially cheating out of 1,000s of evaluated games, 60 people have still chosen to block me. I do not really talk, other than to say "good game" or "nice checkmate, didn't see it", or unless the other person is asking harmless questions ("where did you learn chess", etc).

Therefore, the majority of these people have either blocked me because I beat them, and it upset them, or because they think I won by using computer assistance. The latter is not true at all, and I like to think people have more emotional control for the former.

However, 60 is a lot of people to be blocked by. I haven't seen anyone else around 1850 rated, with so many games played, or who openly is known to be a moderator, who is blocked by so many people. (EDIT: thibault is blocked by 65, but followed by 1,100, so that's only about 1 in 17 blocking him. My block/followed rate is 1 in 2).

I'd almost certainly go on your list. Therefore, I do not think your list is a good idea, and has the potential to do more harm than good.
There is another reason to block players. I sometimes block a player if I want to test new openings and that player plays me all the time and plays not the moves leading to that specific opening. That way I don't have to play that player and have a greater chance of getting the opening I want to get.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.